Re: ALTER TABLE ... REPLACE WITH

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com
Subject: Re: ALTER TABLE ... REPLACE WITH
Date: 2011-01-20 03:16:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Noah's patch is trivial, as are the changes to make mine work fully.

I dispute that. In particular:

+ /*
+ * Exchange table contents
+ *
+ * Swap heaps, toast tables, toast indexes
+ * all forks
+ * all indexes
+ *
+ * Checks:
+ * * table definitions must match
+ * * constraints must match
+ * * indexes need not match
+ * * outbound FKs don't need to match
+ * * inbound FKs will be set to not validated
+ *
+ * No Trigger behaviour
+ *
+ * How is it WAL logged? By locks and underlying catalog updates
+ */

That's another way of saying "the patch is not anywhere close to being done".

> Neither can be achieved barring sensible review.

I think Noah posted a very nice review.

> This topic delivers important functionality. I think it's more important
> than simply who gets the credit.

This is not about credit. I like credit as much as the next guy, but
this is about the fact that there was a deadline for this CommitFest,
and that deadline is now in the past, and this patch is not in a state
to be reviewed. The CommitFest deadline is not a deadline by which
you much post something; it's a deadline by which you much post
something that is reasonably close to being committable, or at least
reviewable. That's obviously not the case here.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company