Re: Forums at postgresql.com.au

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Elliot Chance <elliotchance(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Forums at postgresql.com.au
Date: 2010-11-19 16:08:08
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Elliot Chance <elliotchance(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> 2. Users are automatically created on the forum as they appear on the mailing list.

I'm not entirely happy with the idea that you're signing me up as a
user on some forum site I've never visited. You might actually have
data commissioner issues with that, though I wouldn't know what the
laws are in AU.

> However if I had signed up to the forum (and not the mailing list) my From would have to be subscribed for the mailing list to accept it like:
> Elliot Chance <forums(at)postgresql(dot)com(dot)au>
> John Smith <forums(at)postgresql(dot)com(dot)au>

This is going to do stupid things in people's contact databases too.
Either your email will be associated with all their contacts or
they'll get a single contact with all the names of all the forum users
in it. Either way is pretty bad.

--
greg