Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Basic Recovery Control functions for use in Hot Standby. Pause,

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Basic Recovery Control functions for use in Hot Standby. Pause,
Date: 2011-03-17 06:47:18
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 11:27 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> How should recovery work when pause_at_recovery_target is
>> enabled but hot standby is disabled? We have three choices:
>
>> 1. Forbit those settings, i.e., throw FATAL error. Tom dislikes this
>>     idea.
>
> No, I didn't say that.  I said not to write elog(FATAL).

Oh, sorry.

>  If the
> combination is nonsensical then it's fine to forbid it, but you don't
> need FATAL for that.  In particular, attempting to change to a
> disallowed setting after system startup should not result in crashing
> the postmaster.  And it won't, if you just use the normal error level
> for complaining about an invalid GUC setting.

Sorry, I've not been able to understand the point well yet. We should
just use elog(ERROR) instead? But since ERROR in startup process
is treated as FATAL, I'm not sure whether it's worth using ERROR
instead. Or you meant another things?

Only startup process is able to notice that nonsensical settings since
pause_at_recovery_target is a recovery.conf parameter. So I'm not
sure there is another way to forbid that other than elog(ERROR) and
elog(FATAL).

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao