Re: WAL log shipping + Streaming replication PG 9.0 questions

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: isabella(dot)ghiurea(at)nrc-cnrc(dot)gc(dot)ca
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WAL log shipping + Streaming replication PG 9.0 questions
Date: 2010-10-19 05:37:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 2:48 AM, Isabella Ghiurea
<isabella(dot)ghiurea(at)nrc-cnrc(dot)gc(dot)ca> wrote:
> I have some questions regarding hot standby  + streaming replication (PG
> 9.0) : what is   master/primary  server  behavior if  archive_command fails
>  due to  archive  directory off line/unavailable?

Unarchived WAL files continue to accumulate in pg_xlog directory while
the archive directory is unavailable. Then, if pg_xlog directory is
filled up, the PostgreSQL server causes the PANIC error.

> How about standby server  behavior if restore command fails due to
> archive_master directory not available?

After restore_command fails, the standby tries to read WAL file from
its pg_xlog directory. And, if there is no WAL file to recover in pg_xlog,
the standby tries to connect to the master and read the streamed WAL files
from the master.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao