Re: WAL log shipping + Streaming replication PG 9.0 questions

From: Isabella Ghiurea <isabella(dot)ghiurea(at)nrc-cnrc(dot)gc(dot)ca>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WAL log shipping + Streaming replication PG 9.0 questions
Date: 2010-10-19 14:46:48
Lists: pgsql-admin

Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 2:48 AM, Isabella Ghiurea
> <isabella(dot)ghiurea(at)nrc-cnrc(dot)gc(dot)ca> wrote:
>
>> I have some questions regarding hot standby + streaming replication (PG
>> 9.0) : what is master/primary server behavior if archive_command fails
>> due to archive directory off line/unavailable?
>>

> Unarchived WAL files continue to accumulate in pg_xlog directory while
> the archive directory is unavailable. Then, if pg_xlog directory is
> filled up, the PostgreSQL server causes the PANIC error.
>

>> How about standby server behavior if restore command fails due to
>> archive_master directory not available?
>>

> After restore_command fails, the standby tries to read WAL file from
> its pg_xlog directory. And, if there is no WAL file to recover in pg_xlog,
> the standby tries to connect to the master and read the streamed WAL files
> from the master.
>
> Regards,

Thank you for all details.
For the last question I ' m still a bit confused: if master_archive off
line ( no archived WAL's available) what will be state of standby server ?
Basically we are trying to design a solution where WAL archived
directory is not a "single point of failure" for whole system ( we are
planing to have WAL archived master directory on a separate machine and
both server primary and standby will have read/write here) if this
servers fails , we want to be able to continue normal user operation
on master while standby server will have some latency.
Isabella

Isabella A. Ghiurea

Isabella(dot)Ghiurea(at)nrc-cnrc(dot)gc(dot)ca
Canadian Astronomy Data Centre |http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/eng/services/hia/data-centre.html
National Research Council of Canada, Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics
5071 West Saanich Road, Victoria BC V9E 2E7, Canada
Phone: 250 363-3446 fax: 250 363-0045