Re: Integer input functions for date and timestamp

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Integer input functions for date and timestamp
Date: 2010-10-22 19:54:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On 23 October 2010 06:15, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
>> a) you'd need to rename these.
>
> I'm open to that.  What names would you propose?
>
>> b) we'd also want the inverse of these, which would be extremely useful.
>
> Not a problem.

Ooh, I like it. A related personal pet peeve of mine: AFAIK the
easiest way to convert from an integer number of seconds to an
interval representing that many seconds is:

(the_int || ' s')::interval

I guess we don't want to get too carried away with this, but has
anyone else gotten annoyed by this?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company