On Scalability

From: Vincenzo Romano <vincenzo(dot)romano(at)notorand(dot)it>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: On Scalability
Date: 2010-07-29 17:08:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Hi all.
I'm wondering about PGSQL scalability.
In particular I have two main topics in my mind:

1. What'd be the behavior of the query planner in the case I have
a single huge table with hundreds or thousands of partial indexes
(just differing by the WHERE clause).
This is an idea of mine to make index-partitioning instead of
table-partitioning.

2. What'd be the behavior of the query planner in the case I have
hundreds or thousands of child tables, possibly in a multilevel hierarchy
(let's say, partitioning by year, month and company).

I fear the presence of linear selection algorithms in these two cases that
would kill my design.

Is there any insight about these two points?

--
NotOrAnd Information Technologies
Vincenzo Romano