Re: Streaming replication as a separate permissions

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Streaming replication as a separate permissions
Date: 2010-12-27 21:53:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 22:42, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Updated patch, still pending docs, but otherwise updated: allow
>> start/stop backup, make sure only superuser can turn on/off the flag,
>> include in system views, show properly in psql.
>
> I'd suggest avoiding creating the static cache variable
> AuthenticatedUserIsReplicationRole.  This can't possibly be sufficiently
> interesting from a performance point of view to justify the risks
> associated with stale cache values.  Just look up the pg_authid syscache
> entry when needed, ie, treat it more like rolcreaterole than rolsuper.

Sure, I catually had it that way first. But doing it this way was less
code. But I realize I should've revisited that decision when I made
the change to pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup - before that the
checks would only happen during a very short window of time at the
start of the connection, but now it can happen later..

> BTW, you forgot pg_dumpall support.

Gah. I knew that, but somehow dropped it from my TODO. Thanks for the reminder!

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/