Understanding PG9.0 streaming replication feature

From: Ben Carbery <ben(dot)carbery(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Understanding PG9.0 streaming replication feature
Date: 2010-12-21 03:40:13
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I am having some trouble trying to figure out how to configure this
particular scenario..

I have a pair of pg servers that I want to put in a Master/Standby
configuration. Currently a script dumps the master db every hour, copies it
to the standby, restores, and restarts the server. The aim is to replace the
dumps/restores with streaming replication and ensure the standby is always
up to date.

In this case writes are infrequent, but reads are constant, and I only need
high availability for reads. I would ideally like both master and standby to
be available simultaneously to allow load-balancing.
My confusion seems to be around the fact I don't need failover - my
applications will detect a master down and immediately start using the
standby, so there is no need to allow writes on the standby, they will just
wait for the master to be available again - I am not sure what the minimum
config needed for this scenario is..

cheers,

Ben