PostgreSQL 7.2 Initdb

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL 7.2 Initdb
Date: 2001-09-24 21:30:24
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Hi,

I've been trying to install the latest PostgreSQL 7.2Dev snapshot in Cygwin
running on Windows 2000 Pro. The source configured and compiled perfectly,
but initdb gives the following output:

The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"postgres".

Fixing permissions on existing directory /data72... ok
creating directory /data72/base... ok
creating directory /data72/global... ok
creating directory /data72/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /data72/pg_clog... ok
creating template1 database in /data72/base/1... FATAL 1: data directory
/data72 has group or world access; permissions should be u=rwx (0700)

I have tried chmod'ing 0700 & u+rwx with no success (ls -al shows no change
in permissions) and I've tried tweaking permissions from Explorer also to no
effect.

/etc/passwd has been updated to be safe, and I also have Jason's prebuilt
7.1.3 initdb'ing and running perfectly well on the same Cygwin installation
(obviously different directories/ports etc though).

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

--
Dave Page (dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org)
pgAdmin Project Leader