Re: Cannot rename init file

From: "Russell Black" <rblack(at)iarchives(dot)com>
To: "Jason Tishler" <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cannot rename init file
Date: 2001-09-24 16:05:52
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

From: "Jason Tishler" <jason(at)tishler(dot)net>
> Russell,
>
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2001 at 07:29:47PM -0600, Russell Black wrote:
> > Last night when I ran vacuumdb, I got the following output:
> >
> > Vacuuming usda
> > NOTICE: Cannot rename init file /cygdrive/c/pgdb/base/167726/
> > pg_internal.init.3156 to /cygdrive/c/pgdb/base/167726/pg_internal.init:
> > Permission denied
> > Continuing anyway, but there's something wrong.
> >
> > I got similar errors when I tried to perform db operatons using
ejb/jdbc. I
> > restarted the postmaster and the problem went away.

It seems that to get rid of the error, I only need to close my connections
to the databases with the problem, rather than shutdown the postmaster.

> I have seen the above when running the regression test about 9 months
> ago:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-ports/2001-01/msg00068.php
>
> But, I have not seen it in a long time -- so I *ass*umed that it was
> "fixed" in Cygwin. If you can reproduce it, then please try to debug it.

I'm unable to find a set of steps that reproduce it. It seems to happen
after the jboss server has been running (and has had a connection to the
database) for a couple of days.

> BTW, are your running vacuumdb under cron or just at the command line?

I'm running vacuumdb from cron every morning at 3 AM. How often should I
run vacuumdb? What exactly does it do?

In the above link, Tom Lane said
"The first backend to fire up after a vacuum will try to rebuild
pg_internal.init, and then move it into place."
Perhaps I should restart my jboss server every time I run vacuumdb, so the
files will be released.