Re: Performance Issues (was: "like" vs "substring" again)

From: "John D(dot) Burger" <john(at)mitre(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance Issues (was: "like" vs "substring" again)
Date: 2007-09-18 18:31:23
Lists: pgsql-general

Christian Schröder wrote:

> Or would it be possible to tweak how the planner determines the
> selectivity? I have read in the docs (chapter 54.1) that in case of
> more than one condition in the where clause, independency is
> assumed. In my case ("... where test like '11%' and test not like
> '113%'") this is clearly not the case, so it might be an
> interesting point to address.

I think the planner does think about the interactions of
inequalities, so if you can express your query with less-than and
friends, or even with BETWEEN, you might get a better plan. I don't
know the details of your setup, but you can do things like this with
any ordered type:

where test between '11' and '113'
or test >= '114'

I know this does not match the exact semantics of your query, but
hopefully you get the idea.

- John D. Burger
MITRE