Re: Move defaults toward ICU in 16?

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Move defaults toward ICU in 16?
Date: 2023-02-17 05:51:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On February 16, 2023 9:40:17 PM PST, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
>On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 10:44:05AM +0530, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Uh, I had the contrary impression from the discussion upthread, but it
>> sounds like I might be misunderstanding the situation?
>
>IMO, it would be nice to be able to have the automatic detection of
>meson work in the CFbot to see how this patch goes. Perhaps that's
>not a reason enough to hold on this patch, though..

Fwiw, the manually triggered mingw task today builds with ICU support. One thing the patch could do is to just comment out the "manual" piece in .cirrus.yml, then cfbot would run it for just this cf entry.

I am planning to build the optional libraries that are easily built, as part of the image build for use by CI. Just haven't gotten around to it. The patch Jeff linked to is part of the experimentation on the way to that. If somebody else wants to finish that, even better. IIRC that prototype builds all optional dependencies except for kerberos and ossp-uuid.

Andres