Re: ERROR: out of memory DETAIL: Failed on request of size ???

From: Igor Neyman <ineyman(at)perceptron(dot)com>
To: Brian Wong <bwong64(at)hotmail(dot)com>, bricklen <bricklen(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ERROR: out of memory DETAIL: Failed on request of size ???
Date: 2013-11-22 18:53:54
Lists: pgsql-general

From: pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org [mailto:pgsql-general-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org] On Behalf Of Brian Wong
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2013 11:30 PM
To: bricklen
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org

I've tried any work_mem value from 1gb all the way up to 40gb, with no effect on the error.  I'd like to think of this problem as a server process memory (not the server's buffers) or client process memory issue, primarily because when we tested the error there was no other load whatsoever.  Unfortunately,  the error doesn't say what kinda memory ran out.

You are testing with work_mem set to between 1GB and 40GB.
You were asked to lower this setting.
Even 1GB is too much, try something like work_mem=64MB.

Regards,
Igor Neyman