Re: race condition in sync rep

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: race condition in sync rep
Date: 2011-03-26 15:00:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mar 26, 2011, at 6:16 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> That seems very unlikely even with fsync=off in a real config where we
> have network path to consider.
>
> Your definition of a "nasty" race condition seems off.
>
> I've added code for you.

Your skepticism seems out of place. I actually hit this problem in testing. We could debate how realistic my test setup was, but why? It is not our policy - and bad practice in general - to ship code with race conditions. The code you added is not "for me"; it's "to fix a race condition".

Thanks for the quick fix.

...Robert