Re: Proposal: GetOldestXminExtend for ignoring arbitrary vacuum flags

From: "Seki, Eiji" <seki(dot)eiji(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: 'Michael Paquier' <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: GetOldestXminExtend for ignoring arbitrary vacuum flags
Date: 2017-02-14 09:13:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> It seems to me that it would be far less confusing to just replace the boolean argument of GetOldestXmin by a uint8 and get those flags declared in procarray.h, no? There are a couple of code path calling
> GetOldestXmin() that do not include proc.h, so it would be better to not add any extra header dependencies in those files.

Thank you for your feedback.

Yes, I agree that such extra dependencies are not desirable. I understood that such as the following implementation is better (I attach a patch for reference). Please let me know if my understanding is not correct.

1. Change the arguments of GetOldestXmin
-extern TransactionId GetOldestXmin(Relation rel, bool ignoreVacuum);
+extern TransactionId GetOldestXmin(Relation rel, uint8 ignoreFlags);

2. Add IGNORE_FLAGS_XXX for above "ignoreFlags" in procarray.h
These flags are converted to combined PROC_XXX flag in procarray.c before ignoring

3. Fix callers of GetOldestXmin
GetOldestXmin(NULL, true) -> GetOldestXmin(NULL, IGNORE_FLAGS_VACUUM)
GetOldestXmin(NULL, false) -> GetOldestXmin(NULL, IGNORE_FLAGS_DEFAULT)

Regards,
Eiji Seki
Fujitsu.