ODBC Problem

From: Jamz(at)AirNet(dot)Com(dot)AU
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ODBC Problem
Date: 2001-07-18 00:10:31
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Greetings people,
Before I go nuts, I wonder if anyone has solved this problem
before; I have been using the ODBC driver for our Postgres server to develop
software in Visual Basic with great success until just recently.

Symptoms of the problem are that queries on some machines execute correctly,
but taking the same code and executing it on another machine returns empty
recordsets. I made sure all the drivers were the same and that the latest
MDAC 2.7 was installed on all machines.

On further investigation, I found that on the affected machines, queries to
tables with an index come back with an empty recordset.

Win2k Terminal Server SP2: okay - queries return data
WinXP Beta2: okay - queries return data
WinNT4 Server: only queries on some tables return data
Win2k Server SP2: only queries on some tables return data

I guess this must be something to do with the setup of the ODBC driver on
these machines, but I can't for the life of me find any difference in
settings. All the machines use identical connect strings.

I looked at the ODBC logs to find something that was failing and couldn't
really see any thing bad:

conn=35795448,
SQLDriverConnect(out)='DRIVER={PostGreSQL};DATABASE=bmf;SERVER=bm
f.some.domain;PORT=5432;UID=postgres;PWD=xxxxx;READONLY=0;PROTOCOL=6.4;FA
KEOIDINDEX=0;SHOWOIDCOLUMN=0;ROWVERSIONING=0;SHOWSYSTEMTABLES=0;CONNSETTINGS
='
conn=35795448, query='SELECT * FROM userservices WHERE printform=true AND
formpr
inted IS NULL'
[ fetched 1 rows ]
conn=35795448, SQLDisconnect

So it looked like the row I wanted was retrieved but the recordset still
remained empty :-(

I believe the server is running Postgres 7.0.3 :

[root(at)bmf bin]# ./psql -V
psql (PostgreSQL) 7.0.3
contains readline, history support
Portions Copyright (c) 1996-2000, PostgreSQL, Inc
Portions Copyright (c) 1996 Regents of the University of California
Read the file COPYRIGHT or use the command \copyright to see the
usage and distribution terms.

All machines are using the same ODBC driver version 6.5, PSQLODBC.DLL
4/2/2000

If anyone knows if there is a known problem with this combo please let me
know and I will have a case to get the admin to upgrade.

Cheers & TIA,
Jamz.

"We should have laser guns!"
- Andrew Hill (Post Support Call)