Re: Better management of mergejoinable operators

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Better management of mergejoinable operators
Date: 2006-12-12 23:38:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Dec 13, 2006, at 7:56 , Tom Lane wrote:

> Right offhand I cannot see a reason why there should be different
> equality operators with the same sortops. (If anyone can come up with
> a plausible scenario for that, stop me here...) So what I'm thinking
> about is a unique index on oprlsortop/oprrsortop; that would both
> allow
> efficient search, and prevent multiple answers.

I think this makes sense. Would this be affected at all by equality
of text strings, taking into account locale? Or would there be
equality for text in each locale (so oprlsortop and oprrsortop would
always be not only the same type (text) but also of the same locale)?
I'd think this is would be the case so it wouldn't end up being a
problem.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net