Re: Broken SSL tests in master

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Broken SSL tests in master
Date: 2016-12-01 19:50:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 2016-12-01 14:43:04 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>> I get that, but this is the second time in very recent history that
>> I've broken something because there was code that wasn't compiled or
>> tests that weren't run by 'make check-world'.

> Well, I don't quite know what the alternative is. For some reason, which
> I don't quite understand personally, people care about security during
> regression tests runs. So we can't run the test automatedly. And nobody
> has added a buildfarm module to run it manually on their servers either
> :(

I don't think there's much substitute for knowing what tests we have
available.

In the particular case at hand, I wonder if we could generate new test
certificates every time (or at least have an option to do that) rather
than relying on premade ones. But I don't think it's realistic to imagine
that check-world will ever automatedly invoke every possible test.