Re: Partitioned tables and covering indexes

From: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Jaime Casanova <jaime(dot)casanova(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Partitioned tables and covering indexes
Date: 2018-04-11 00:50:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi.

On 2018/04/11 0:36, Teodor Sigaev wrote:
>>     Does the attached fix look correct?  Haven't checked the fix with
>> ATTACH
>>     PARTITION though.
>>

>> Attached patch seems to fix the problem.  However, I would rather get
>> rid of modifying stmt->indexParams.  That seems to be more logical
>> for me.  Also, it would be good to check some covering indexes on
>> partitioned tables.  See the attached patch.
>
> Seems right way, do not modify incoming object and do not copy rather
> large and deep nested structure as suggested by Amit.

Yeah, Alexander's suggested way of using a separate variable for
indexParams is better.

> But it will  be better to have a ATTACH PARTITION test too.

I have added tests. Actually, instead of modifying existing tests, I
think it might be better to have a separate section at the end of
indexing.sql to test covering indexes feature for partitioned tables.

Attached find updated patch.

Thanks,
Amit

Attachment Content-Type Size
DefineIndex-fix-covering-index-partitioned-3.patch text/plain 5.9 KB