Re: SQL/JSON revisited

From: Elena Indrupskaya <e(dot)indrupskaya(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, n(dot)gluhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: SQL/JSON revisited
Date: 2023-01-10 12:51:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

The Postgres Pro documentation team prepared another SQL/JSON
documentation patch (attached), to apply on top of
v1-0009-Documentation-for-SQL-JSON-features.patch.
The new patch:
- Fixes minor typos
- Does some rewording agreed with Nikita Glukhov
- Updates Docbook markup to make tags consistent across SQL/JSON
documentation and across func.sgml, and in particular, consistent with
the XMLTABLE function, which resembles SQL/JSON functions pretty much.

--
Elena Indrupskaya
Lead Technical Writer

On 28.12.2022 10:28, Amit Langote wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Rebased the SQL/JSON patches over the latest HEAD. I've decided to
> keep the same division of code into individual commits as that
> mentioned in the revert commit 2f2b18bd3f, squashing fixup commits in
> that list into the appropriate feature commits.
>
> The main difference from the patches as they were committed into v15
> is that JsonExpr evaluation no longer needs to use sub-transactions,
> thanks to the work done recently to handle type errors softly. I've
> made the new code pass an ErrorSaveContext into the type-conversion
> related functions as needed and also added an ExecEvalExprSafe() to
> evaluate sub-expressions of JsonExpr that might contain expressions
> that call type-conversion functions, such as CoerceViaIO contained in
> JsonCoercion nodes. ExecExprEvalSafe() is based on one of the patches
> that Nikita Glukhov had submitted in a previous discussion about
> redesigning SQL/JSON expression evaluation [1]. Though, I think that
> new interface will become unnecessary after I have finished rebasing
> my patches to remove subsidiary ExprStates of JsonExprState that we
> had also discussed back in [2].
>
> Adding this to January CF.

Attachment Content-Type Size
func-SQL-JSON.patch text/x-patch 30.5 KB