Re: Add additional information to src/test/ssl/README

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Kevin Burke <kevin(at)burke(dot)dev>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add additional information to src/test/ssl/README
Date: 2021-10-31 18:28:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> writes:
>> Wouldn't it make more sense to start collecting troubleshooting advice in
>> src/test/perl/README and instead refer to that in the boilerplate? I notice
>> that we don't document for example PG_TEST_NOCLEAN anywhere (which admittedly
>> is my fault), a trubleshooting section in that file would be a good fit.

> Yeah, we could try to move all the repetitive stuff to there. I was a bit
> allergic to the idea of having README files refer to webpages, because you
> might be offline --- but referencing a different README doesn't have that
> issue.

Here's a quick stab at rearranging src/test/perl/README so that the
initial section is all how-to-run-the-tests info, and advice about
writing new tests starts after that. Your point about PG_TEST_NOCLEAN
could be added into the initial section.

I'd envision adding something like

"See src/test/perl/README for more info about running these tests."

to the boilerplate "Running the tests" section in src/test/ssl/README
and its cohorts, but I didn't bother with that yet.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
readme-improvements-wip.patch text/x-diff 2.1 KB