Re: Streaming replication and postmaster signaling

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Streaming replication and postmaster signaling
Date: 2010-01-07 17:10:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2010/1/7 Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>:
> On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 11:55 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>
>> Personally, I would rather have a release without SR in June or July
>> than a release with SR in August or September.

June, yes. July, frankly, no, because July == September, when it comes
to any such scheduling. At least in the countries where my clients are
:)

> If SR will be ready until then, I'd like to see a release in September
> which has SR in it. We already postponed SR a lot. Many of advocacy
> people including me already mentioned about SR, and many people are
> lookig after it. BTW, July probably won't be a good time for a new
> release, because of people's holidays.

-1. Frankly, if advocacy people said it would be there, they didn't
tell the truth, and that's their problem. If they said "hopefully it
will be there, but we don't know yet", then they don't have a problem
either way.

Not having our release schedule driven by marketing is a *strength* of
our project!

We made the mistake last time to delay the release significantly for a
single feature. It turned out said feature didn't make it *anyway*.
Let's not repeat that mistake.

> ...and maybe then we can start 8.5 -> 9.0 thread.

Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/
Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/