Re: [HACKERS] update by one transaction

From: dg(at)illustra(dot)com (David Gould)
To: gyurika(at)prolan(dot)hu (Lendvary Gyorgy)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] update by one transaction
Date: 1998-06-13 07:11:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I have a table for instance boci (row_number int, col2 float, col3
> float). The boci table has about 10000 rows.
> I want to update col3 column of the table in every row with different
> values. Desired values are in an array has 10000 elements. I want to be
> the value of the col3 column in the first row equal to the first element
> of the array and so on.
> I've done it with a 'for' cycle, but it is very slow. I want to do
> theese updates with one transaction.
>
> Here is a little piece of my program:
>
> PQexec(conn, "BEGIN");
> for (i=0; i<10000; i++)
> {
> sprintf(buff, "UPDATE boci SET col3 = %f WHERE row_number=%d",
> array[i], i);
> PQexec(conn, buff);
> }
> PQexec(conn, "END");
>
> I can't solve this problem with COPY command becouse I have to update
> col3 column in every minute, but I don't want to change row_number and
> col2 columns. My problem is the updating and not the creation of the
> table. Creation is fast enough.
> This program is very, very slow. Is there any way making this program
> much faster (for instance with CURSOR or 'block write' or something
> else)? Please write me a little program that describes your ideas!

Try creating an index on row_number. Right now to do the update the whole
table has to be scanned. With an index only the matching rows will be
scanned.

-dg

David Gould dg(at)illustra(dot)com 510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software 300 Lakeside Drive Oakland, CA 94612
- A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five.