Re: RTLD_LAZY considered harmful (Re: pltlc and pltlcu problems)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, David Terrell <dbt(at)meat(dot)net>, Brent Verner <brent(at)rcfile(dot)org>, Murray Prior Hobbs <murray(at)efone(dot)com>, Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RTLD_LAZY considered harmful (Re: pltlc and pltlcu problems)
Date: 2002-01-21 17:03:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-sql

> Interesting LAZY has better efficiency.

"Efficiency" by what measure? I would think that batch resolution of
symbols would be faster than taking a trap for each one.

> Seems we should just keep LAZY
> as our default for future releases and tell people if they link to bad
> object files, they should expect trouble.

(a) How are they going to find out if the object files are bad, other
than by crashing their database? I *really* don't like the attitude
that a backend crash is okay. Under any circumstances, development
or not.

(b) Badness may depend on context, eg LD_LIBRARY_PATH. So it's not
really safe to assume that if it worked before then you don't have to
worry about it crashing you in production.