Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
Cc: Jason Earl <jason(dot)earl(at)simplot(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>, Brent Verner <brent(at)rcfile(dot)org>, mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, alavoor <alavoor(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL
Date: 2002-01-21 17:04:54
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>

> > I have to admit you hit on exactly why I worded the original as I did.
> > It emphasizes the commonality of the two licenses, and specifically
> > points out the the part of the GPL that we don't like, without slamming
> > it.
>
> That wording invites responses from people who want to give you reasons
> to change it. Do you want to put the issue to bed or invite more debate?

I guess my goal is to have a paragraph that tries to show the value of
the BSD license. Saying we just don't like the GPL isn't telling people
what we dislike about it. It opens up questions of why we don't like it,
and it is more confrontational that I would like to be towards the GPL.
Many GPL folks are GPL because they don't understand the nature of the
GPL restrictions in practice and why the BSD license may be better for
them. The wording I used attempts to "reach out that hand" as someone
said. to the other side, in a nice way.

What we could try is the more gentile wording and if that causes too
much chatter, we can clamp down on the wording and give a more
confrontational tone.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us