How to drop column from interrelated views

From: Guyren Howe <guyren(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: How to drop column from interrelated views
Date: 2017-07-08 22:18:39
Lists: pgsql-general

I’ve a set of interrelated views. I want to drop a column from a table and from all the views that cascade from it.

I’ve gone to the leaf dependencies and removed the field from them. But I can’t remove the field from the intermediate views because Postgres doesn’t appear to be clever enough to see that the leafs no longer depend on the column. Or did I just miss one?

In general, this seems like a major weakness expressing a model in Postgres (I get that any such weakness derives from SQL; that doesn’t stop me wanting a solution).

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks in advance.