Re: How to drop column from interrelated views

From: Karsten Hilbert <Karsten(dot)Hilbert(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to drop column from interrelated views
Date: 2017-07-16 10:08:43
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Jul 08, 2017 at 03:18:39PM -0700, Guyren Howe wrote:

> I’ve a set of interrelated views. I want to drop a column from a table and from all the views that cascade from it.
>
> I’ve gone to the leaf dependencies and removed the field from them. But I can’t remove the field from the intermediate views because Postgres doesn’t appear to be clever enough to see that the leafs no longer depend on the column. Or did I just miss one?
>
> In general, this seems like a major weakness expressing a model in Postgres (I get that any such weakness derives from SQL; that doesn’t stop me wanting a solution).

Not that it helps much with your immediate problem but this
is typically the point where one realizes that database
definitions should live under version control.

That doesn't enable easy dropping of a column from
interrelated views but does allow for more convenient ways of
writing the required DDL change script.

Regards,
Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD 4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346