Re: RFC: Logging plan of the running query

From: torikoshia <torikoshia(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ekaterina Sokolova <e(dot)sokolova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: Logging plan of the running query
Date: 2021-11-16 11:48:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-11-15 23:15, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:

> I have another comment: isn't it a good idea that an overloaded
> version of the new function pg_log_query_plan can take the available
> explain command options as a text argument? I'm not sure if it is
> possible to get the stats like buffers, costs etc of a running query,
> if yes, something like pg_log_query_plan(pid, 'buffers',
> 'costs'....);? It looks to be an overkill at first sight, but these
> can be useful to know more detailed plan of the query.

I also think the overloaded version would be useful.
However as discussed in [1], it seems to introduce other difficulties.
I think it would be enough that the first version of pg_log_query_plan
doesn't take any parameters.

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/ce86e4f72f09d5497e8ad3a162861d33%40oss.nttdata.com

--