Re: RFC: Logging plan of the running query

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: torikoshia <torikoshia(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
Cc: Ekaterina Sokolova <e(dot)sokolova(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: Logging plan of the running query
Date: 2021-11-15 14:15:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 6:29 PM torikoshia <torikoshia(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com> wrote:
> > 3) I think SendProcSignalForLogInfo can be more generic, meaning, it
> > can also send signal to auxiliary processes if asked to do this will
> > simplify the things for pg_log_backend_memory_contexts and other
> > patches like pg_print_backtrace. I would imagine it to be "bool
> > SendProcSignalForLogInfo(pid_t pid, ProcSignalReason reason, bool
> > signal_aux_proc);".
>
> I agree with your idea.
> Since sending signals to auxiliary processes to dump memory contexts and
> pg_print_backtrace is still under discussion, IMHO it would be better to
> refactor SendProcSignalForLogInfo after these patches are commited.

+1.

I have another comment: isn't it a good idea that an overloaded
version of the new function pg_log_query_plan can take the available
explain command options as a text argument? I'm not sure if it is
possible to get the stats like buffers, costs etc of a running query,
if yes, something like pg_log_query_plan(pid, 'buffers',
'costs'....);? It looks to be an overkill at first sight, but these
can be useful to know more detailed plan of the query.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Bharath Rupireddy.