Re: RFC: Logging plan of the running query

From: torikoshia <torikoshia(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RFC: Logging plan of the running query
Date: 2021-05-13 08:23:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thank you all for your positive comments.

On 2021-05-12 21:55, Matthias van de Meent wrote:

> Great idea. One feature I'd suggest would be adding a 'format' option
> as well, if such feature would be feasable.

Thanks for the comment!

During the development of pg_log_backend_memory_contexts(), I tried to
make the number of contexts to record configurable by making it GUC
variable or putting it on the shared memory, but the former seemed an
overkill and the latter introduced some ugly behaviors, so we decided
to make it a static number[1].
I think we face the same difficulty here.

Allowing to select the format would be better as auto_explain does by
auto_explain.log_format, but I'm a bit doubtful that it is worth the
costs.

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/6738f309-a41b-cbe6-bb57-a1c58ce9f05a%40oss.nttdata.com#e687d583080c96563b2fa2e32dbf3fb6

Regards,