Re: AW: Proposed WAL changes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Vadim Mikheev" <vmikheev(at)sectorbase(dot)com>
Cc: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, "Zeugswetter Andreas SB" <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: AW: Proposed WAL changes
Date: 2001-03-07 15:47:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Vadim Mikheev" <vmikheev(at)sectorbase(dot)com> writes:
> So, I don't see why to remove archdir from pg_control now.

I didn't like the space consumption. I think it's important that the
pg_control data fit in less than 512 bytes so that it doesn't cross
physical sectors on the disk. This reduces the odds of being left
with a corrupted pg_control due to partial write during power loss.

That's a second-order consideration, possibly, but I can see no
redeeming social advantage whatever to having archdir in pg_control
rather than in postgresql.conf where all the other system parameters
live. Unless you've got one, it's coming out...