Performance monitor

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Performance monitor
Date: 2001-03-07 15:56:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have started coding a PostgreSQL performance monitor. It will be like
top, but allow you to click on a backend to see additional information.

It will be written in Tcl/Tk. I may ask to add something to 7.1 so when
a backend receives a special signal, it dumps a file in /tmp with some
backend status. It would be done similar to how we handle Cancel
signals.

How do people feel about adding a single handler to 7.1? Is it
something I can slip into the current CVS, or will it have to exist as a
patch to 7.1. Seems it would be pretty isolated unless someone sends
the signal, but it is clearly a feature addition.

We don't really have any way of doing process monitoring except ps, so I
think this is needed. I plan to have something done in the next week or
two.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us