OID type creates files that don't go away

From: "David Wall" <d(dot)wall(at)computer(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: OID type creates files that don't go away
Date: 2001-01-24 01:30:21
Lists: pgsql-admin

I've created several blobs using the OID type. I note that the database
stores the "oid" number that represents two files on disk, such as xinv21281
and xinx21281 with the oid in the database showing up as 21281 via a SELECT.

But, I deleted a row that contained this oid, and the two 'x' files are
still on disk. I then ran a VACUUM, saw that 1 record was reaped, but the
two 'x' files remain. Are these 'x' files going to be reused in some
manner, or is this a bug that keeps them around despite the fact that the
database row for it has been removed?

David