Re: Proposal: Remove regress-python3-mangle.mk

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Yury Zhuravlev <u(dot)zhuravlev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: Remove regress-python3-mangle.mk
Date: 2016-04-20 13:17:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Yury Zhuravlev <u(dot)zhuravlev(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> writes:
> Noah Misch wrote:
>> I may not understand that second sentence. We have multiple buildfarm members
>> verifying the python2 case and multiple members verifying the python3 case.

> I wrote about special python3 features what not testing today. We testing
> Python3 as subset of Python2.

It's not our job to test Python features, especially not version-dependent
features.

> If we do not want to have two different code base, then it is necessary to
> use than this: https://pythonhosted.org/six/
> The license allows us to copy this code into postgres.
> Or use standart Python tool 2to3:
> https://docs.python.org/2/library/2to3.html

You have not explained why we need to change anything. The current
approach may be a bit of a kluge, but it works fine for our purposes,
AFAICS. Also, I would bet that those tools would not know anything
about converting PL language names between 'plpythonu' and 'plpython2u'
and 'plpython3u'; so even if we used one of them, we would still need a
layer pretty similar to what we have.