RE: [INTERFACES] (libpq question) Holy cow, what's all this fluff ?!

From: Michael Davis <michael(dot)davis(at)prevuenet(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: RE: [INTERFACES] (libpq question) Holy cow, what's all this fluff ?!
Date: 1999-02-14 00:09:53
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

You could trim(field).

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Hagerty [SMTP:matthew(at)venux(dot)net]
Sent: Saturday, February 13, 1999 4:35 PM
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: [INTERFACES] (libpq question) Holy cow, what's all
this fluff?!

Greetings,

When using the PQgetvalue() function of libpq, the results, at least
char
fields, return the value in full, i.e. a char(20) field with the
text
"Matthew" for example returns "Matthew " (all 20
characters,
padded with spaces).

I'm sure there is a good reason for this? But, none the less, I
would like
to turn it off if I can, otherwise I'm off to writing a small
function to
strip the spaces off. This is kind of a pain though because I don't
need
to modify the values, just display them, or fill a browser's form
fields
with values from the database (which is my biggest need to strip the
fluff). The docs say that I should not access the structure holding
query
results, so I will have to malloc each value, copy it, strip the
fluff,
send it out on its way, and release the memory. More housekeeping,
yuck!
Not to mention more processing time. Please tell me there is a way
to get
field values with libpq that are exact to the content length and not
the
field length.

Thanks,
Matthew