Re: scheduler in core

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: scheduler in core
Date: 2010-02-21 00:32:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 12:03 AM, Jaime Casanova
<jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 9:33 PM, Jaime Casanova
>> <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to figure out how difficult is this
>>
>> Why not just use pgAgent? It's far more flexible than the design
>> you've suggested, and already exists.
>>

> - it's not that easy if you don't have pgadmin

That's easily changed. EDB's Advanced Server emulates Oracles DBMS_JOB
interface with it for example.

> - i need to backup postgres database to backup the schedules

Only if you put the control schema in that database. If you don't want
to do that, stick it somewhere else. With your proposed scheme, you'd
probably have to use pg_dumpall --backup-globals (or whatever it's
called)

> - the use pgagent here is not very extended but the few a know have
> tried desisted because they
> said: "not always executed the jobs"... i don't have any real evidence
> of that and probably what happens
> was that the pgagent daemon wasn't working (error prone), but being it
> started by the postmaster get rid of that
> problem...

Noone has ever reported such a bug that I'm aware of.

--
Dave Page