Re: scheduler in core

From: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: scheduler in core
Date: 2010-02-21 00:03:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 9:33 PM, Jaime Casanova
> <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to figure out how difficult is this
>
> Why not just use pgAgent? It's far more flexible than the design
> you've suggested, and already exists.

- it's not that easy if you don't have pgadmin
- i need to backup postgres database to backup the schedules
- the use pgagent here is not very extended but the few a know have
tried desisted because they
said: "not always executed the jobs"... i don't have any real evidence
of that and probably what happens
was that the pgagent daemon wasn't working (error prone), but being it
started by the postmaster get rid of that
problem...

The first one could be rid out with a set of functions in pgagent and
clear docs...

i can live with the other two at some degree... but getting rid of
the third one should be nice :)

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova