Re: SVN Commit by guillaume: r8145 - in trunk/pgadmin3: . pgadmin/db pgadmin/frm

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SVN Commit by guillaume: r8145 - in trunk/pgadmin3: . pgadmin/db pgadmin/frm
Date: 2009-12-30 17:09:35
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>> The application_name should be set as a connection string parameter,
>> not an explicit SET command.
>
> That was the first thing I wanted to do. But people won't be able to use
> pgAdmin with older PostgreSQL releases if we use the connection string
> parameter.

Yes they will. We changed libpq to ensure that works properly.

>> This ensures that the application name is
>> included in the initial connection log message, and avoids a round
>> trip with the SET query. PQconninfoParse can be used to test if libpq
>> supports application_name at runtime.
>>

> I don't understand that. libpq and the server are two different things.
> You can have a new libpq on your client and an old server. client's
> PQconninfoParse will tell you application_name is available, but it
> could be that the server doesn't understand it. Perhaps I need to get a
> better look at PQconninfoParse, but don't have the time right now.

You need an 8.5 libpq to use application_name in the connection
string. It doesn't matter what server you have, as libpq will ignore
the parameter for older servers. To ensure you have a suitable libpq,
prepare the connection string, and feed it to PQconninfoParse. If you
get a null response, there's a problem (e.g. application_name is not
supported). If you get a non-null response, the connection string is
valid.

--
Dave Page