Support for Updatable Views - Edit Grid

From: Mark Reid <mark(at)markreid(dot)org>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Support for Updatable Views - Edit Grid
Date: 2009-12-30 16:15:21
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hello,

I'd like to propose that PGAdminIII add support for modifying data using the
Edit Grid for VIEWs as well as regular tables.

It seems the naive approach of running an INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE
statement and relaying any errors back to the user should be relatively
safe. If there are rules defined that allow write access to the view, then
it should work fine. If not, then they just get an error message.

I guess the argument against this is that normal Edit Grid changes are
guaranteed to affect exactly one row (identified by OID or primary key),
while we can't gather that information from a VIEW. I'd like to be able to
do it anyways, so maybe hide it behind an option like "Edit (and potentially
destroy) Data"

:)

Is that a feature other people would find useful?

Mark