Re: [CORE] EOL for 7.4?

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-core <pgsql-core(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [CORE] EOL for 7.4?
Date: 2009-12-01 16:51:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com> writes:
>> This thread never got resolved. I think we can all agree that EOL
>> for 7.4 is a "when", not an "if"? Can we get -core to take a stance
>> here and pick a date? I like the clean smooth lines of January 2011,
>> and thus saying that 2010 is the last year in which we'll backpatch
>> things to the 7.4 branch. But I'll stick to whatever core thinks is
>> best. Just let the advocacy team know so we can start work on it.
>
> If we're going to set the date that far off, I'd be inclined to EOL
> 8.0 at the same time.  It'll be six years old by then.  You could
> make a good argument for nuking 8.1 at the same time --- it'll turn
> five in November 2010.
>
> Personally I'll still be on the hook for maintaining 8.1 in RHEL5
> so I'd be just as happy to keep it alive a bit longer, but if the
> community doesn't want to deal with it that makes perfect sense.
> I have no personal commitment to 8.0 at all because Red Hat never
> shipped that in a RHEL release ...

Presumably you'll be on the hook until 2014 for 8.1 security patches
for RHEL 5 (looking at
http://www.redhat.com/security/updates/errata/)? I can't see the
community wanting to support it for that long, so I'd suggest we can
(respectfully) ignore your commitments in that regard.

I'm for EOLing *at least* 7.4 and 8.0 by January 2011, and I'm
certainly not going to argue against doing the same for 8.1. Frankly,
I think we could do 7.4 and maybe 8.0 six months earlier.

--
Dave Page