Re: [CORE] EOL for 7.4?

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-core <pgsql-core(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [CORE] EOL for 7.4?
Date: 2009-12-02 18:53:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 4:41 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>
>> ... 8.1 in RHEL5 ...

+1 for letting 7.* and 8.0 die whenever no-one's
motivated to bother supporting it anymore.

> Presumably you'll be on the hook until 2014 for 8.1 security patches
> I can't see the community wanting to support it for that long

-1 for letting 8.1 die while someone major still supporting it,
even if that means EOLing 8.2 before 8.1.

As a PG user, it's confidence inspiring to see a project that
can provide 7-years of support on a version.

As a Red Hat customer, I'd feel happier if my database were not
considered dead by the upstream community.

It also feels more in the spirit of open-source to me -- where
if one member is willing to put in work (Red Hat/Tom), the benefits
are shared back; and in exchange the rest of the community can help
with that contribution.

> I'm for EOLing *at least* 7.4 and 8.0 by January 2011, and I'm
> certainly not going to argue against doing the same for 8.1. Frankly,
> I think we could do 7.4 and maybe 8.0 six months earlier.

I think the best would be to say 7.4 and 8.0 end in Jan 2011,
and 8.1 switches to only high-priority security patches at that
date.