Re: Archives policy

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Archives policy
Date: 2009-04-16 19:24:23
Lists: pgsql-www

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> writes:
>> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>>> Altogether that page now reads like, our archiving system is too stupid to
>>> handle removals and we are too busy to bother.  Not sure if that will serve to
>>> convince people.  "Extremely difficult" is after all the same as "possible".
>
>> Well that is essentially correct :-) Any suggestions for alternative text?
>
> The really key point is the one about there being many copies of our
> archives that we have no control over, so asking us to remove our
> copy accomplishes nothing worth the complainant's trouble.  The rest is
> unlikely to deter anyone.

In my experience, the number of copies is also unlikely to deter a
fair percentage. Many of these people are complete nuts - I've had one
claim the CIA will assassinate them because they can be traced through
our archives before! It's nonsense of course, but it'll make my life
easier to have a definitive answer for those and the saner folks so I
can direct them to it and then ignore any further complaints.

--
Dave Page