Re: Recovery Test Framework

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Guillaume Smet" <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Recovery Test Framework
Date: 2009-01-12 17:34:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> The community are our shareholders.

Exactly - and their dividends are the features we release, not a share
of profits we make from pushing out something a few weeks earlier.

> Right. Except that isn't really the question at hand is it? The above is
> just a potential result of the question at hand. The low level question
> is, "do we feel comfortable from a technical (not a whiz bang) level
> with the diligence that has been provided this code.

I always feel very confident knowing that it won't be committed until
it's right.

> Well its really nobody's fault except the hacker that didn't step up to
> do the work. I believe all hackers have already been working diligently.

They have - but I see no reason why an imperfect process should delay
the hard work of developers getting into the hands of users that want
it for 12 months or more. It'll annoy users and potentially alienate
important developers - and there are few enough of them able to work
on features of this complexity as it is.

--
Dave Page