Re: extending functionality strategy

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Gevik Babakhani" <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: extending functionality strategy
Date: 2008-10-16 06:25:22
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Gevik

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 11:45 PM, Gevik Babakhani <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to have some guidelines regarding extending functionality
> within pgadmin.
>
> The following are two modules which I am thinking about adding to pgadmin as
> a built-in or if possible plug-in.
>
> 1) A custom type creator. For creating function return types. We heavily
> make use of functions that are stored procedure ported from MSSQL. Perhaps
> this would be useful to others too.

Can you describe this in more detail? We can already manage and create
types in pgAdmin (albeit our support for complex types requiring an
initial 'shell' type is somewhat lacking).

> 2) A sequence synchronizer. Up on importing from other DBs, It would be
> useful to have a mechanism where one can synchronize sequences by max(table
> id)+1.

I think that makes sense if pgAdmin were doing the data import. As a
standalone function I don't think it would be obvious what it was for.

--
Dave Page