Re: libpq.rc make rule

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq.rc make rule
Date: 2008-02-26 00:15:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 11:48 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
> > Yes, because newer builds may be linked against updated runtime
> > versions. We need to be sure the installer will upgrade the file so it
> > definitely matches any runtimes (or other dependencies) that we're
> > also installing/upgrading.
>
> If it is so very important to update this file for every build, why are we
> shipping it in the distribution tarball, which is done under the assumption
> that it never has to be updated? Something doesn't fit here.

That I can't answer.

> Also, does this theory apply to all shared libraries? What about the ecpg
> libraries?

All user-facing binaries should be affected, both executables and
libraries. iirc, we don't bother with contrib dlls or conversion
libraries etc as they are far less likely to cause problems. I can't
help thinking there's something else I'm forgetting as well...

--
Dave Page
The Oracle-compatible database company