Re: Missing file is mentioned on page https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/libpq-exec.html

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Euler Taveira <euler(dot)taveira(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, e(dot)indrupskaya(at)postgrespro(dot)ru, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Missing file is mentioned on page https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/libpq-exec.html
Date: 2020-10-30 15:09:58
Lists: pgsql-docs

Euler Taveira <euler(dot)taveira(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 at 13:54, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>> Uh, in my source tree that is a symlink to
>> src/backend/catalog/pg_type_d.h, but that file is generated by
>> src/backend/catalog/genbki.pl. Does that help you?

> Shouldn't we replace "are defined in the file" with "are defined in the
> generated file"? That's the only place that mentions *_d.h files. Perhaps
> adding a link to BKI [1] should avoid further questions.

It'd probably confuse users more, actually. This chapter is aimed at
users of Postgres, not developers.

From a user's viewpoint, catalog/pg_type_d.h should look pretty much
like any other installed header. We want to point them at that, not at
pg_type.h, because the latter is painful to include in application code
that doesn't want to buy into the Postgres programming environment
altogether.

Thinking about it from the perspective of someone dealing with an
installation tree not a source tree, maybe the reference should
be to "server/catalog/pg_type_d.h". That might help disabuse
anyone who's expecting to find it at that path in the git tree.