Re: Missing file is mentioned on page https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/libpq-exec.html

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Euler Taveira <euler(dot)taveira(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, e(dot)indrupskaya(at)postgrespro(dot)ru, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Missing file is mentioned on page https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/libpq-exec.html
Date: 2020-11-10 23:06:36
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 11:09:58AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Euler Taveira <euler(dot)taveira(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 at 13:54, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> >> Uh, in my source tree that is a symlink to
> >> src/backend/catalog/pg_type_d.h, but that file is generated by
> >> src/backend/catalog/genbki.pl. Does that help you?
>
> > Shouldn't we replace "are defined in the file" with "are defined in the
> > generated file"? That's the only place that mentions *_d.h files. Perhaps
> > adding a link to BKI [1] should avoid further questions.
>
> It'd probably confuse users more, actually. This chapter is aimed at
> users of Postgres, not developers.
>
> >From a user's viewpoint, catalog/pg_type_d.h should look pretty much
> like any other installed header. We want to point them at that, not at
> pg_type.h, because the latter is painful to include in application code
> that doesn't want to buy into the Postgres programming environment
> altogether.
>
> Thinking about it from the perspective of someone dealing with an
> installation tree not a source tree, maybe the reference should
> be to "server/catalog/pg_type_d.h". That might help disabuse
> anyone who's expecting to find it at that path in the git tree.

I am confused what the "server/" prefix means in a path name.

We currently say:

The <acronym>OID</acronym>s of the built-in data types are defined in
the file <filename>src/include/catalog/pg_type_d.h</filename> in the
source tree.

We could add "compiled":

The <acronym>OID</acronym>s of the built-in data types are defined in
the file <filename>src/include/catalog/pg_type_d.h</filename> in the
source tree after it is compiled.

EnterpriseDB https://enterprisedb.com