Re: Tech Docs and Consultants

From: Scott Lamb <slamb(at)slamb(dot)org>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tech Docs and Consultants
Date: 2003-04-15 19:07:59
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On Tuesday, Apr 15, 2003, at 13:58 US/Central, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> - Requiring submitters to understand CVS. But honestly, I'm not sure
>> about the quality of any tech document written by someone who doesn't.
>
> One of the things that we could desperately use for TechDocs, for
> example, is
> an article like "Creating An OpenOffice.org Mail Merge document from a
> PostgreSQL database."   In what way does the author of such a document
> need a
> knowledge of CVS?

Okay, I see your point and Justin's.

My attitude comes from thinking that anyone who uses PostgreSQL is
going to do so as part of a development project. If that were true, I
think that my statement would follow, since I believe that anyone who
develops well does so using version control. But maybe it's not true
that all PostgreSQL users are developers. A mail merge is a good
example of something you can do with PostgreSQL without being a
developer.

Scott