PGDATA not accessible; please fix the directory permissions ($PGDATA should be world readable)

From: jtkells(at)verizon(dot)net
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PGDATA not accessible; please fix the directory permissions ($PGDATA should be world readable)
Date: 2011-08-09 14:49:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

postgresql 8.4.8 64 bit /Ubuntu 10.4 64 bit

When I try to connect to postgresql from a local user on the same
machine that postgresql is running on I receive the following:
psql
Error: /pgdata/data is not accessible; please fix the directory
permissions (/pgdata/ should be world readable)

whats even worse if I try to connect to postgresql using localhost I
get the same problem
psql -h localhost -p 5432 -d DB -U user1
Error:/pgdata/data not accessible; please fix the directory
permissions (/pgdata/ should be world readable)

I dont have this problem from the local postgres account nor do I have
any problem connecting to the database remotely using TCP/IP.

If I change the unix_socket_directory setting to /tmp I get the
following error when I try to log on locally from postgres

psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
connections on Unix domain socket
"/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

Not sure what is going on.

pg_hba